Monday 28 January 2008

1st rack Complete & Batch 5 On Tap!

This past weekend I was able to complete the 1st racking of the cider. This being of batch 13. I've prepared 14 batches in all of 30 litre Youngs plastic fermenter containers with 4 inch caps, this being the most I've ever made. The gravity of no. 13 was 1.010, which was higher than expected. It tasted yeasty, quite sweet but promising...

You may wonder why 13 is the last to be racked and not 14..? Well batch 14 was fermented in demijohns as I didn't have a spare container available, and, as I couldn't be arsed to buy another I bunged the juice into 5 x 1 gall containers and stuck 'em up on the kitchen cupboards... and of course these fermented out rapidly, especially as I'd sulphited the juice (don't usually) and added wine yeast. Over the Chrimbo period it was like Quatermass up there, frothing away (I've never got yeast on the ceiling before...) - hence that being racked before 13 which had been relegated to the cooler motor caravan... all's well that ends...

I've also managed to get batch 5 into the poly pin that previously held no.3... Yes, I know it's complicated... it's the sterilising that takes the time! It's quite sweet now and rather pleasant as I primed the cask with 20 odd teaspoons of sugar. This will help 2 and 3 along as that's now as dry as toast...
piss easy,

bottoms up!

No comments: