Sunday 17 February 2008

Batch 11: Not Good!

This weekend gave me chance to rack batches 10 and 11.
Yesterday morning I was banished from the kitchen... doh...
...which made the job a tad more tedious and slow as I opted to siphon the cider rather than pump... but No. 10 (OG 1.060)was quite dry (now 1.004) but okay.
Today I tackled no. 11. (OG 1.060 - now 1.003) This is the batch I discovered had somehow lost the top of it's airlock. I noticed this sometime over the Christmas period - no idea how long it had been off! I blame Billy - he's the overweight British Shorthair... a bit clumsy is Billy... but then again it could've been me when I removed the last of the lettuce trays that had held apples up to the end of December. Shame I've got no other place to keep it than the cat pen!
I've cellotaped all the airlock tops on now!
Anyway, being open to the air could be the reason it has a slight vinegary taste and not nearly as good as the other batches to date. It'll go down okay though - think I'll call it Derbyshire Double Shudder - free cat hair in every bottle! Certainly not one for the ladies... ye gods, no.



Does Billy look bovvered...?

No comments: