Saturday 29 September 2012

Here we go!

eh, now the video post icon has disappeared..? Just not my day...
ah... that's 'cos I was in HTML mode. Right...
this just might work... for what it's worth, but this is after setting up the scratter last week:



and pulping (sadly as yet a second process for me to get the right porridge like consistency):


... apologies for the low presentational skills...

aw bollocks, that's the wrong video... ha ha. Never mind, we see progress!
I haven't really got the hang of holding the phone without prematurely halting recording... tch.

anyroadup, Friday's sweet addition to the stash turned out to be a cracking 52 kg. Now if I could turn up 52kg every day...
I need to get my hands on some sharps next! Though I have done a little homework this year, but it has to be noted a couple of my regulars are totally without fruit. This year I've needed to dig a little deeper as it were and there's no doubt there's ample fruit out there if you invest a bit more time, though you can never be sure that someone else will have beat you to it in the scrumping game!
Last Saturday, around dusk, I was harvesting a local crab with my Dunnington picker*, when I realised the owners were stood not 10 ft away checking me out! As it happens I'd sought permission some 4-5 yrs back and this stood me in good stead. A local surgeon (I think) owns the tree that overgrows the roadside and he was fine about me taking the apples once we'd established contact and I'd reintroduced myself... he also gave me permission to enter his garden to collect fruit that falls onto his property. His tree is a good regular cropper (for a bitter sweet) though tend to be 'grubby' - cidermakers can live with grubs though.
I've also tracked down 2 other good crops of bitter sweet this year - I can't see the bitters being a problem this year if I can get to 'em 1st that is...

* I'm overdue for a post on this remarkable little device!

bedtime for me now though... at least the Herpes Varicella Voster virus seems to be on the losing end now... yeah, I reckon I've turned a corner...








No comments: