Wednesday 10 November 2010

Batch 9 in...

...just (made 1.054) - Had to coax every last drop from the press that has developed a few more (for the moment) small cracks. I think I must have scales that weigh low (some old Salter bathroom scales with an LED display) and as I've used different containers I must have ended up with less apples. Switching the pulper back on without putting an empty tub underneath didn't help either - sh*t for brains or what?
Anyway leaving the press under pressure all night has coaxed the level to just below the shoulder on the Young's fermenter bin, but probably not done the ageing timbers of the press any good, and there's only one spare 6"x2" piece left, but I did speak to a customer yesterday who has some 4 or 5" channel steel section going begging. Whether there'll be time to bolt or weld something up now is another matter...
300 litres is next target, and with around 6 weeks left, if I can keep the press going I might just make it and though it's hard going on your Jack Jones there's still apples to be had.

No comments: