Wednesday 7 November 2012

Well Chuffed...

... because the wildling visited today has much more fruit than I'd gauged!
















It's one of the better cider apples I've found with a certain 'vintage quality' all of its own. I was expecting to gather just around a half bag, but came away out of time with two and a half with more to come yet.












On the scales - 34.5kg (76 lbs)

I also took the opportunity to cut through more of the thick ivy strangling the trunk that would surely be starving the tree of nutrients, light and air. Pretty sure I felt the tree sigh with relief... I've done a bit of work on this tree before - could be my fancy, but the fruit seems more plentiful and generally somewhat larger...

Well, batch 11 pressed tonight and I've yet to wash down the press boards - best get on...

later:
press boards now washed down - I forgot, I also needed to take the gravity of 11which turned out unsuprisingly to be 1.050. On 2nd glass on John Downie which tends to keep a bit of a head, that after a while forms a ring that clings to the side of the glass.

I also picked up some sharps today (6.7k) and 1 small tree of sweets - just 5 apples making just 900gms.
(Yesterday's stash -all sharps- came in at 38k! and there's loads more yet, though I've more than enough sharps now to make that 600 litre target...)
I think that's about it for today...

No comments: